Frequently Asked Questions
Applying For A Placentia Library Card
Placentia Library District will issue a library card to California residents with a valid driver’s license, or U.S. government issued photo identification and an accompanying proof of a current California address issued to the applicant within the last six (6) months.
- Consular ID’s, Out of State ID, or U.S. Passports may be used for identification along with current proof of address such as utility bills.
- Patrons under the age of 18 must be accompanied by one parent. The accompanying parent must present and ID and current proof of address.
A library card obtained at any of the Anaheim Public Library Branches can be used at the Placentia Library.
For your convenience library card applications are available online:
For ADULT applications Click Here.
For CHILD’S application Click Here.
The Placentia Library Virtual Card is an electronic card that gives you access to most of the online resources that our library has to offer. The virtual card is not valid for hard print items, or physical media options.
If you wish to apply for the Placentia Library Virtual Card please Click Here.
If you wish to apply for a regular Placentia Library card instead, you will need to apply in person at the Circulation Desk. The following needs to be presented in order to be issued a library card:
- Valid California Driver’s License/ ID that states your current address
- If your Driver’s License/ ID do not state your current address we will need a bill statement that shows your name and current address.
- Parent/guardian must be present as well as minor.
- Parent/guardian must provide a valid California Driver’s License/ID with current address
- If Driver’s License/ID does not state the current address we will need a bill statement that shows the name of the parent/guardian and the current address.
More Than Just Books
Additional services found at the library include:
- Video Games
- Passport Services
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Photocopier, fax machine
- Subscription databases for public use
- Computer and Internet access
- Test Proctoring Service
- Literacy Services
- Kids & Teen Programs and Services
- Adult Programs and Services
- History Room & Archives
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Foreign Language print books
Item Loan Limits & Borrowing Policy (per library card)
- 5 items out at one time (for the first month, new borrowers only)
- 25 items out at one time (after first month)
- 3 week loan period for books/audio books/magazines/CDs
- 2 week loan period for Library of Things (LOTs) collection
- 1 week loan period for DVDs
- The Placentia Library District will no longer collect overdue fines, as approved by the Library Board of Trustees on June 28, 2017
- Accounts that have a balance higher than $10 will not be allowed to borrow library items until balance is under the stated amount
- $1 re-shelving fee for request/reserve items cancelled after reserve shelf placement or not picked up after 5 days
Borrowers of materials from Placentia Library District assume full responsibility for their use.
Renewing Library Items
Most items can be renewed twice, unless the item has been requested.
The renewal period is the same length as the original loan period:
- 3 Weeks for Books, Audio Books, CDs, and Magazines
- 1 Week for DVDs
You may renew by:
- Calling the automated TeleCirc service (714)765-1775
- Calling the library during regular business hours at (714)528-1906 x.210
- In person (item is not required.)
Remember to have your card on hand when calling or renewing in person.
Renew online* following these simple steps:
- From the home screen, press on My Account tab
- Enter your library card number (Borrower ID) where prompted; remember to include all numbers, but no spaces in between
- Enter your password where prompted. Your password is the last 4 digits of your telephone number, or your birth year if you have an Anaheim library card.
- Follow by pressing Login
- Select Checked Out on My Account tab to see a list of all the items you have checked out to your account
- Click on the box to the left of the item you want
- When finished selecting the items you would like renewed, press the Renew button found at the bottom left hand corner of the page
- To confirm that the item you selected was renewed, review the Due Date column for the new return date
*Note that if your items are past due, your account has an unresolved block, or your items are rental DVDs, you will not be allowed to renew online
Returning Library Materials
Items may be returned to the Placentia Library District or one of the Anaheim Public Library branches.
Placentia Library has an after hour’s book drop available outside the front door of the building and another on the parking lot by the delivery driveway.
Please return any media items (DVDs, CDs, audio books) to the front door book drop.
Requests to Purchase
The Placentia Library purchases materials recommended by customers when appropriate. Individual purchase decisions will be guided by the Library's selection policy and the availability of funds.
You may suggest a title, author, or subject. Please provide as much information as possible, citing reviews or sources if available.
Request to purchase forms are available at the Library.
Recently published titles: fiction and nonfiction, paperback and hardback Children's books
Videos, DVDs and recorded books
High interest subjects: mysteries, detectives, romance, science fiction, classics, politics, travel, world languages
High interest magazines: National Geographic, Architectural Digest, Bon Appetit and Gourmet
Computers in the Library
In order to allow fair access to its public computers, the Placentia Library uses a reservation system. A current Placentia or Anaheim Library card allows the user to utilize the computers for two hours per day per patron. Visitors to the area with valid ID may also get a Guest Pass from the staff at the Adult Services Desk for computer access.
In the Adult and Children Service areas, the Library's public computers run using Microsoft Windows 7 Operating System with documents, spreadsheets, and presentations created with Microsoft Office 2013. You may print your work or save it to your USB flash drive. Downloading materials from the Internet onto the computer hard drive is not allowed for security reasons.
Headphones are not provided. You may bring your own headphones or purchase ear buds for $2.00.
Express Internet Stations
You may bring your laptop or mobile device to our building and connect using our wireless access.
Placentia Library Friends Foundation Computer Lab
You are welcome to bring your own laptop or mobile device and use the wireless internet access provided by the Library.
The Library's wireless network is an open network, and therefore not secure. The Library cannot guarantee the safety of your computer's communication across its wireless network. Information sent to or from your wireless device can be intercepted by anyone else with a wireless device and appropriate software within the range of the Library's wireless access point.
Wireless Technical Support
The Library is unable to provide technical assistance to you regarding wireless access, and there is no guarantee that you will be able to make a wireless connection. If you need assistance, contact the manufacturer of your wireless device or software. The Library is not responsible for any changes you make to your computer's settings, and recommends that you copy or make a note of any settings before you change them.
Faxing service is available for $1.00 per page for area code 714 and for out of area code for $1.50 per page.
Our fax number is Fax: 714.528.8236
Self-service copying is available at the Placentia Library. The self-service copy machine accepts coins, $1 bills or $5 bills. Paper sizes are available in 8 ½ x 11 or 11 x 17.
Copies are $0.15 black and white, $0.50 color.
Test Proctoring Services at Placentia Library
Price: $50 per exam (cash, credit card or check to “Placentia Library District”)
Days and Times: Monday – Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. by appointment only
Proctor Information: Katie Matas, Librarian
Placentia Library District
411 E. Chapman Ave.
Placentia, CA 92870
- Contact Katie Matas to make sure the time-frame you need to take your exam is available.
- Request your exam from your school naming Katie Matas as your desired proctor. Most schools require the information about Katie listed above to approve her as your proctor. She is already on the approved proctor list for some schools.
- The school will send either the paper exam or computer codes to access an on-line exam to Katie directly.
- Once Katie has your exam/codes, she will contact you to schedule a time for your exam.
- Please arrive on time for your exam and always bring your picture identification with you.
The public copier has the ability to scan a standard document to any valid e-mail address. This service is provided free to the public. Please refer to the staff at the Information Desk for specific details.
- Located on the right-hand side of the Information Desk at the center of the library
- One outside book drop is located against the wall before the main entrance of the library.
- A convenient second book drop is located in the parking lot next to the loading dock, this book drop will be closed during rainy days or holidays.
- Items returned in a book drop after the Library closes will be checked in the next day the Library is open.
- In order to accommodate items that are left in the book drop after the Library closes, there is a 2-day grace period for all 3-week circulating items. There is no grace period for DVDs. On the 3rd day fines are charged from the first day an item was overdue.
Renewals available 24/7/365 online or by phone (714-765-1775)
(Patrons may renew twice unless item is requested by another patron)